Wednesday, October 10, 2007

my problem

so today at school (a university in southern utah) i had an hour between classes. i had some thumbnail sketches due in typography and my idea was to get a cup of fake starbucks coffee and sketch away in this lounge area by the cafeteria. so i get my coffee that has been sitting way too long in a thermos and notice there is a p.a. system set up and a guy gets up to give a talk. i listen. he references raymond carter, beckett, dave hickey. (!) im interested. impressed. i sit down. he's funny-reads from his book. the first story is about a church "meeting" or whatever they're called. its an insightful observation about people's hidden lives etc. tender, but not sappy. i like it. i think, maybe he's just an outside observer making insightful commentary on religious groups and their behaviors. like wild kingdom, but with mormons. then i hear it: "...my ward...". and that's it. i just lost my respect for the guy. not completely. but mostly. so that's my problem. or one of them anyway.

No comments: